Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Inspiration


If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.

John Quincy Adams


For years I have been saying I'm going to start a blog, and for the longest time I have been saying I am going to run a race with the Livestrong team. Well this weekend I finally registered for the New York City Half Marathon on March 16th with Team Livestrong, and in an effort to help with my fundraising goal and share my experiences as both a personal trainer and training for my second half marathon I'm finally starting my blog too!


Before I make my shameless plug for money I thought I would share a little about what inspired me to run with Team Livestrong. While almost no cancer patient wants to be an inspiration, oftentimes they just want to go on living their lives, inevitably they are. And while there is a great deal of controversy surrounding Lance Armstrong I cannot help but be inspired by the Livestrong organization. Many people are unaware Lance Armstrong battled 3 forms of cancer including brain cancer, and despite what he may or may not have done to win the Tour de France I find his story of survival inspirational. The amount of cancer survivors and families his organization has gone on to help is nothing short of amazing. So I am very excited to run my second half marathon and do my part, and even though I know it's the holidays I would appreciate whatever donations you can make :). 



Since it's the Thanksgiving season many people have been sharing what they are thankful for, and one of the things I'm most thankful for is having so many inspirational people in my life.  I have met so many inspirational people that have battled cancer and continue to inspire me to do things like run the half marathon that I will share more about during my training. Today I would just like to highlight some of the amazingly inspirational people in my daily life. 


I come from a family of inspirational people, starting with my parents who taught my brothers and I the importance of hard work. My mom is especially inspiring because not only did she devote years to raising my brothers and I, but when she returned to work she worked full time AND took classes to finish her degree while still making it to every little event we had.  Both my parents continue to be there to love and support each of us in our endeavors.  As the little sister I have always looked up to my big (quite literally- at 5'7" I am the smidget of the family) brothers, but I could not be more proud of my brothers and the way they have set and achieved their own goals. Most importantly I am super proud of the men they are today, and as they have become husbands and husbands-to-be they have served as models for what I should look for in a husband and partner.  


At Miami I was blessed with some of the most amazing and diverse friends you can imagine.  They are the most inspirational and devoted people you will ever meet, and while their passions span everything from medicine to journalism to acting and much more, I know each one is going to make a lasting mark on this world. They continue to push me to do the same and pursue my own passions while providing me with infinite amounts of entertainment and fabulous memories! I so enjoy learning and hearing about each of your professions, and I am eternally grateful for all of you!


Since moving to New York after graduating I have continued to meet inspirational people. Starting first with AmeriCorps I met some of the most selfless people that are dedicated to serving the needs of others and will let nothing stand in the way- even government buerocracy (which is basically a nice way of saying loads and loads of BS). At Columbia I met some of the smartest and curious people who truly believe anything is possible and work hard everyday to prove it. And at Equinox I am surrounded by people who believe so strongly in the importance of health and fitness they have devoted their lives (and sacrifice the better part of a nights sleep) to share that with others. Finally, the people of New York continue to inspire me on a daily basis. Since moving to New York one of my favorite activities is running the loop of Central Park and watching people work towards their goals no matter what obstacles stand in their way- missing limbs and all! 


Many thanks to all of you who read this, and continue to inspire me! 


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for making it easy for me to pick the cause to donate to on this "Giving Tuesday." I am looking forward to your fitness and nutrition tips so I am skinnier in the next photo you post of me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you for being my very first donor!! And I didn't even realize it was giving Tuesday!

      Delete