Tuesday, April 15, 2014

One Year Later: Boston Strong

Therefore, since we are surrounded by a cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles.  And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us
-Hebrews 12:1

Source

Like many, I won't forget where I was on Marathon Monday 2013.  April 15th, 2013 I was sitting in Clinical Nutrition.  I started receiving texts from friends asking if the marathon I was training for was today and if I was OK.  Confused, I finally opened my computer and started reading about the bombing of the Boston Marathon.  4 hours 9 minutes and 34 seconds after the first runner crossed the starting line at the Boston Marathon, a bomb exploded near the finish line followed shortly by a second.

Marathon Monday is held the third Monday every April, Patriots' Day.  The Boston Marathon is the world's oldest annual marathon, and has been run every year since 1897.  Due to the high standards for qualifying, running the Boston Marathon is a lofty aspiration for even serious marathoners.  This year, males 18-34 years old needed to run a 3:05 marathon (5:46/mile), and females 18-34 years old needed to run a 3:35 marathon (6:43/mile) in order to qualify.  


I quickly responded to texts, telling my friends I wasn't in Boston, my race wasn't for a couple more weeks.  I thought about how hard everyone had worked to get to Boston, the miles of training.  Many runners have to run several marathons before they reach a qualifying time.  There are several runners who run the race for charity, raising thousands of dollars to support those in need.  I thought about how excited all of the runners had been, each of them with their own story and running for their own reasons.  

A day that celebrates triumph had been reduced to tragedy.  However, amidst the heartbreaking images of destruction were images of strength and kindness.  We watched a 76 year old man who was knocked to the ground by the blows pulled himself up.  Strangers ran towards the bombs to help move victims to safety.  People began bringing clothes, food, and water from their homes out to the runners who were forced to stop before they reached the finish line.  One man brought out the drawers from his dresser, offering whatever he could.  Runners gave their hard earned medals to the families of other runners.  Citizens of Boston opened up there homes and offered rides to people in need.    

Source
I've been fortunate that my training has served me well during both my half marathons.  I've never hit "the wall" or been in pain during either of my runs.  The worst part for me is always right after.  Once I cross the finish line, the adrenaline goes away, I stop moving, and my body temperature drops quickly- if you know me, you know how often I am cold.  I couldn't imagine what it must have felt like to be within a mile of the finish line, cold, scared, and confused.  A small act of kindness- offering a sweatshirt or some orange juice- but on that day they were heroes to the runners in need.     

Boston has forever changed how a race.  I still get nervous about how I will perform, and I still want to get faster.  However, on race day I run without a watch and I rarely pay attention to the clocks.  I put in my work and focus on pace while I'm training.  But when it comes to race day I am overcome with an amazing sense of gratitude, and I use each mile to soak it all up.  I am even more grateful for my ability to run after seeing what so many have gone through- relearning how to walk, coping with pain, and dealing with the drastic changes in their own lives.  

I am eternally grateful for the spectators and volunteers.  Many of the victims that were injured severely were not running the race, rather they were there to support runners whether they were loved ones or strangers.  Spectators make the marathon experience.  They are there no matter what the conditions- rain, wind, snow, you name it.  As I ran my first half marathon I couldn't help think of the 8 year old boy  that died Marathon Monday, and his sister, who lost her leg.  In Nashville, there were children all along the course- holding signs boasting how amazing their parents were for running, singing cheers, and high-fiving runners- despite the pouring rain.  I take note of all the volunteers from baggage check to water stations to medal distribution, and thank everyone I make contact with.     

In the spirit of Boston I encourage everyone to take the time to be grateful for what they are capable of doing.  Next time your alarm goes off, instead of being unhappy about getting up for an early workout count it as a blessing.  Also in the spirit of Boston, don't forget how far a small act of kindness goes.  On Marathon Monday we learned love and kindness are stronger than hate and violence.  A smile to a stranger, offering your seat to someone on the subway, holding the door- these are the simplest ways to pay to tribute to those we lost, because even if you're not running 26.2 miles, we could all use a little encouragement.


Good luck to those running the Boston Marathon on Monday- you are all rockstars!!

       



No comments:

Post a Comment