Saturday, February 1, 2014

Training in the Polar Vortex

"If it doesn't make the world a better place, don't do it."
-Kid President


Four years in Miami made me into the biggest baby when it comes to cold weather. I have a huge fear of being cold, which is why this morning, after stalling for over an hour, I bundled up in running pants, sweatshirt, gloves, and hat only to run past 3 men running in shorts during the course of my 9 mile run. The Miamian in me forgot just how warm 41 degrees actually is. 

After our second round of the polar vortex anything above freezing is more than welcome in my book. Given the cold, and oftentimes icy conditions, I've had to resort to the treadmill a lot. My last 5 runs were on the treadmill :( but I was happy to take advantage of the warmer temps today for a 9 mile run. 

                                       
There was still a great deal of snow and ice in the woods where I run that slowed me down but overall I was happy with my 9:03 pace. 

                                   
                                                      Gotta love country living!

So far I've kept up well with my training plan with just a few modifications to change runs given the weather. Here is a quick strength circuit for anyone that's looking for ideas for training during cold days!

Strength Training Circuit:
Set a timer (gymboss is a free app that works great for this) for 10 rounds. Beginners start with 30 seconds on and 30 seconds off, work your way up to 50 seconds on and 10 off. 

Move 1: Squat jump-- if the jump is too much cardio squat without the jump, trying using a weight or medicine ball if you have access

Move 2: Lunge with rotation (use a weight or medicine ball if you have access)--rotate towards the direction of the front leg

Move 3: Mountain climbers-- for maximum benefit make sure your shoulders are directly over your wrists

Move 4: Plank

Move 5: Burpees

Move 6: Tricep dips

Move 7: High Knees

Move 8: Push-ups (modify if needed- either elevated on knees)

Move 9: Frog jumps- start as low as possible to the ground and then jump as high as possible

Move 10: Side plank (alternate half way through)

**Repeat 2-4 times 

*I wanted to include pictures but did not have time to get anyone to take them- email or comment with questions. 


Thank you so much to those of you that have already donated to my Team LiveStrong fundraising goal!!  
Donations of any amount are very much appreciated https://www.livestrong.org/profiles/3512/stream/


Question: What can you do today that will make the world more awesome? 

   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment